Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Real Kids, Real Faith

I'm about 3 chapters into Real Kids, Real Faith by Karen Marie Yust. This book is very parent-friendly (c. 200 pages, lots of sidebars!) The thing I'm excited about, (an element that this book brings to the table that I haven't seen addressed before to this degree) is that she tackles "engaging culture". She likens being a faith community in this world to the experience of immigrants moving to a new country raising children with two cultures. She writes in such a way that people of any faith will find insights here.

I'm going to keep reading. I'll also update the resource list. When I have ALOT of time to kill maybe I'll fix all the links :) My computer savy daughter is home so you might get a photo of my 40+ pound, 5 month old puppies.

Sidebar: Because writers of books try very hard to draw some of their livelihood from their book sales, if you like an author and you can afford it, I'd encourage you to buy his/her books. There are also some great second-hand book sites on-line (which doesn't help an author but keeps the book circulating.) If you don't have anyone to borrow from, you can have a book sent to your local library or check the library at your local Christian college or seminary.

Someday maybe Artisan will have a library!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Safe travel.

1 comment:

  1. I've read the first 10 pages. I hope to finish this book soon. With time on my hands...maybe this weekend (although highly unlikely).

    I have a 12-15 pager for class that I haven't started researching yet. Its cool to know we are reading the same books.

    ReplyDelete