Friday, April 20, 2007

more thought about communion

I was re-reading Brother Maynard's post about the Communion Table and the comments. I'm not qualified to get too involved in theological debates but here are more observations and questions:

We assume there weren't children at the Last Supper but I was wondering who was there when Jesus referred to Himself as the Bread (John 6) - the time He talked about eating His body, the time when so many disciples left. I was wondering whether there were children there. We know a boy once gave up his meal to share it and Jesus multiplied it. Was that the same crowd that followed Him to the place where they heard Him talk about being Bread?

And Jesus refers to the manna that God provided the Israelites in the desert. That manna was for entire families.

From John 6:48-54 (NIV) "I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. . .Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

Was that just for adults? I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment