Monday, October 22, 2007

New Generations, Old Questions,

Setting aside doctrinal, ideological, and theological differences, it seems that every generation has to sift through old ideas and new ideas as they search for the living God and personal faith. Why? Is it parenting? Rebellion? Cultural changes? Or just that God calls to each of us whatever our generation, "If you seek me with all your heart, I'll let you find me." Maybe it's just part of God's design because each generation has to find Him while living in the time and culture that they inhabit.

Even as we pursue God we still "only see through a glass darkly". We inevitably miss more than we see because God is God and we are not. Each generation seems to want to compensate for something that a previous generation missed.

After we find Him or He finds us depending on your theology. . . after we find each other, after we're reconciled... each generation seems to face the same ageless questions. In this context of when and where we live, how do we love God? How do we love people? How do we keep His word and live Christ-like lives? How do we pass our faith on to our children and those around us?

We read, watch, listen, ask questions. Prayerfully, we gather and sift through information, ideas, life-styles and hopefully most importantly we search the scriptures.

Was seeking God a different process in ancient Israel than it is in modern western culture? Was it easier?

Why am I doing this exactly? for God? for me? for someone else? Is it just something personal or am I one of many called to a common journey? Called to something bigger than just me and the people around me? Is my faith just for me to keep or is it only mine to give away?

I'd venture, prayerful, that there are answers in scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment