Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lent 8b Tuesday

Isaiah 49:1-7

More listening and paying attention...

Are there elements here about God's call and naming us even before we are born that is appropriate for children?

"He made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me away." Is this Isaiah? Was his mouth like a sharp sword when he was a child? An arrow being sharpened to be hid away until God was ready?

vs 5 formed from the womb to be His servant...formed from the womb with a purpose . . . Is that true of everyone or just special people?

You have a prophet (and perhaps a people) looking to God when he is discouraged and a promise of God in the midst of discouragement.

Psalm 71:1-14

Take the time to look at this person who wrote this Psalm and his relationship to God. The part that caught my attention is this (vs 6-7) "Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you. I have been like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge. . . " How many observations can you make about the child? The man? God, as he knew Him? Ponder childhood faith and adult faith adult faith in this Psalm. Notice that it doesn't get easier. What skills did he learn as a child that continued to serve him even through hard times as an adult?

1 Corinthians 1:18-31

Here we have foolishness & power, foolishness and wisdom... Proverbs talks about fools and children. I guess it isn't about the foolishness, wisdom or power. It's about what God did to draw us near to Him. Is it too far off-center to say that through the stories of Jesus, the reality of what He did, and interacting with Him we come to see and know Him as the power & wisdom of God? I think verses 25-29 are especially appropriate for children and for those of us who love them.

John 12:20-36

Some Greeks came to see Jesus. You can act out the telephone game-likeness of one telling another who tells another who tells...

You have the story (the science & the agriculture) of grain & wheat. Have you ever taken a stalk of grain and rubbed it in your hands or ground the groats to make flour?

vs 25 - words to remember but for how young a listener? vs 26 - something to act out if you talk about serving. There is a story in verses 27-36. You can play with light & dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment