Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Stories

Of all the stories in scripture you have four gospels and multiple chapters telling the Christmas story over and over with varying emphasis. I suppose the Easter story is like that too. Who do you know who likes to hear the same story over and over?

"And tell me the part where..."

Of the 55,000+ children's books on Amazon 22,000+ are about Christmas. Random trivia. That was free. :)

One of my favorites and a rather unique Christmas story is Only A Star by Margery Facklam published by Eerdman's Books for Young Readers. Apart from the wonderful artwork and the natural science of it, Marge Facklam celebrates creation's participation in the birth of our Lord.

I also really like theThe Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
and other versions of a similar Tolstoy story based on scripture.

When we were little, the older kids in our church used to do a Christmas play where the little boy took a long trip to bring his tiny offering to a church where the chimes or bells never rang and they rang for him. I don't remember the name of it, but it left a lasting impression on me at the time (I think they used the chimes on the organ which made it that much more dramatic). Sometimes we get into George MacDonald stories. There are Christmas stories and legends from other countries, too.

Can't find it so I can't give you a title but when the kids were little we had a book from one of the real-people-Christmas- nativity movies with photographs and just scripture. The actress who played Mary also played Juliet in one of the Romeo and Juliet movies but I don't remember her name.

George loves the old version of "Miracle on 34th St," "It's a Wonderful Life," and the story-song "Good King Wencleslas". I tend to like the Christmas carols that rarely get sung and I'm partial to story-songs.

Assuming the nativity story is up on top, do you have a favorite Christmas story? a favorite Christmas song? a favorite Christmas memory from your childhood?

1 comment:

  1. Fave Christmas Story - "An Angel's Story (re-titled from "Cosmic Christmas") by Max Lucado. It is the story of the birth of Christ told from a perspective of spiritual warfare - including conversations between angels, God, Satan. Very cool. We read it as a family and/or have a "Cosmic Christmas" party with friends each year.

    Fave Christmas Song - changes often - right now it is Mercy Me's version of "I Hear The Bells".

    Fave Christmas Memory - the lengths that my parents went to keep me believing in Santa. Boots/bells on the roof attached to a rope hung in the fireplace so that when they pulled it it sounded like Santa landing on the roof. We run outside to see him and my dad says,"You just missed him!" We go back inside and now all the gifts are under the tree and mom says, "You just missed him."

    Thanks for asking - and allowing me to remember!

    ReplyDelete