Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Puppy Post! Good Days and Bad Days

You're due for a puppy post.

All in all, I have to say that getting through puppy adolescence is going better than I thought.

Worked with Nyah for six months on being nice around other dogs and all the other basic skills so we have no excuses this time around. I know that they know that I know... Did what the trainer showed me when we were taking classes, watched more wild and wooly classes and with great fear and trepidation we went back to class and the first day she was WONDERFUL with the other dogs!! I don't know if she was just happy to be back, whether I was more relaxed or what, but I was SO grateful! The second week was good but I've got to watch her. More work to keep her distracted.

In the meantime...Ellie.

She's more fearful than Nyah in general. I've kept my eye on her, trying to avoid negative encounters but I've never had to worry about her with other dogs. She always wants to play. I was working on her attention to me, I was avoiding the social 'cause I don't always know how to respond, and they're always on leash out of the yard. The encounters Ellie had summer and fall were really good. Then in the last two weeks, when Nyah was doing so well, we had two potentially bad situations with REALLY friendly dogs. Ellie was worse than Nyah. So I'm back at square one. She goes back to class this weekend. Not sure what to expect. We'll see.

My best puppy week and my worst puppy* week all at the same time...sigh. Sometime you're working really hard and think you're doing all the right things and you still come up short.

I'm very grateful! Puppies and kids keep you humble. :)



*"Puppy" as in 80 pound 1 1/2 yr old adolecents.

No comments:

Post a Comment