Monday, January 29, 2007

Why Did I Pick that One?

Todd posted these questions in a comment.

"... what helps you to mention a particular site?

What do you look for?

What makes a site good in your book?"

Really good questions! My mentioning a site isn't neccessarily an endorsement. I probably should have said that somewhere. That's why I thought I should post this and not just comment.

Most of the resources I post are resources I found personally useful or thought-provoking in one way or another. I'll include a site that I think someone else might find potentially useful. I probably won't bother posting sites that everyone goes to. I won't post anything I think is potentially harmful or controversial.

Most of the blogs are your own blogs. It gives you opportunity if you want to network, or pray or listen and hear what other people are thinking and doing and wrestling with.

Some of the resources come from my reading books for children and from my children's writers' networking.

Some come from my reading. Some come when I'm looking up one thing and discover something more interesting or potentially useful to someone.

I'm not into telling people how to think but I believe what the scriptures say. I believe God created man with the capacity to believe Him but also with the capability to think and reason in the light of His Word and make wise decisions. God forbid I should say or do something that would cause anyone to stumble but I have and I probably will again.

I believe we need to "love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, strength" and "love our neighbor as ourself" whoever that neighbor is. I believe I'll be judged the same way I judge and that love covers a multitude of sin. We like the denomination we've been part of recently but we've never really had strong denominational affiliation. As we prayerfully ponder the scriptures, our thinking keeps changing. Hopefully, for the better.

Bottom line, you have to prayerfully sift through the things people feed you, weigh them against God's words and what you know of His Spirit and His nature as revealed through the scriptures and follow your own conscience.

Most people who come here are just curious. Some people are looking for practical ideas or how-tos. Some people are looking for books to read and commentary. Some people are looking to connect with people who think the way they're thinking. If you come to Emerging Kids and leave with something you didn't have or more encouraged and excited to keep on walking with Jesus, or better equipped to love and minister to children I'm happy.

You can probably tell from the relative randomness you find here, that I don't really have an agenda apart from just sharing things I get excited about - and people who know me might say I don't get excited about very much. :)

I love Jesus, but I'll never push Him on you. I love kids (and my puppies). I inevitably love the unique and different people who walk through our lives even if they don't always love each other. I'm naturally curious. I ask a lot of questions and God is very patient. I like sharing things if I think they might be potentially useful to someone else.

If you have questions or concerns about any of the resources you see here, or if you've found resources that you love and you want to share, great!! I tend to see things from so many different angles (positive and negative) that if I get going, it will make you tired before I even get started so I'll stop now.

Did I answer your question?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment