Friday, January 11, 2008

More thoughts about seeing

Can I add a note to that last post?

I'm not talking about learning to see so we can correct, although there's a time and place for that. I'm talking about the fine art of observation. Some people might call it scientific - learning to see what's there. Observation can be very clinical. But it can also be cause for praising our Creator for His handiwork, the source of object lessons, fuel for encouragement or discussion, fuel for encouragement (in case you missed it the first time) fuel for encouragement (in case you missed it the second and third time).

It's watching your children to catch them doing something good, "Gee! That was wonderful!" And you say to yourself, how did that happen? It takes time to discover how children learn and the things that are most meaningful to them. Maybe it's relaxed time but maybe it requires disciplined looking. Some of the things you discover may be the same for most children, some things won't.

God sees what no one else sees. Behavioural counselors learn to see the triggers that cause behaviours. Artists see and put what they see in a form that (hopefully) enables others to see what they see (courtesy of my daughter Jenny). Photograhers see. So many times I take photos and I'm sooo disappointed because I didn't take a picture of what I actually saw. I'm getting better but why is that? Writers see, take what they see and put it into words and stories enabling others to share ideas or experiences. Musicians hear in the same way. Counselors see with their hearts.

Have some fun! Use your imagination. Play with "seeing". Maybe there are wonderful books about seeing out there somewhere. I have no clue! I think you'll be surprised at what you see - good and bad. Give thanks and praise! Maybe you'll even find yourself worshipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment