Sunday, October 26, 2008

Let's Teach It! 1 (revised)

Keep an eye on Kidology's CM Blog Watch. Better than reading the newspaper -lots to think about! They've been on-line longer than I have.

Here's an interesting article on self-control from this blog

I wanted to take it a step farther.

How do we grow self-control? In it's simplist form you reward the wait. You apply it to lots of situations. The reward should be better than the reward for not waiting - lots better! It may feel "controling" but the goal isn't parental control or adult control. The goal is self-control even when only God is watching. More than teaching - training.

Understand that a reward worth waiting for will be different for different children. If I don't care about candy, it's not a reward worth waiting for for me. If I don't like to be touched, don't hug me. If I don't care what anyone things, your approval means nothing.

Some will argue that self-control is a fruit of the Spirit. It grows from the inside out. Scripture. It's true. But 2 Peter 1:3-8 is also scripture. Also true and it talks about growing it from the outside in. How do we do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment