Tuesday, July 07, 2009

post script: controversial

FYI and to bring you two sides of a coin (even though coins have far more properties than two. . .) this is an article from firstjohnfourfive. It's worth reading. All of my husband's "danger" buttons would be going off, too. His are quite sensitive. I don't know enough to make a judgement.

I probably give more grace than most people I know, but years ago I was told when in doubt pray, filter it through the scriptures, talk with people older and wiser in the faith that you respect and I go back to I Cor 12:3 (NIV) "Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, 'Jesus be cursed,' and no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit." I Cor. 12:3 is found in the context of people having different spiritual gifts.

Again, I don't want to steer you wrong so you will have to draw your own conclusions. Yes, talk of "centering" prayer set off my warning buttons, too.

One of the difficulties is that in Eastern thought meditating means something different than it does here in the west. Unfortunately Eastern thought isn't what we associate with scripture though our scriptures came through an eastern culture. So let's ask how did the Hebrews meditate on God's Word? How did David pray? What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit or to "hear God?"

As I say, keep the grain, throw away the chaff...Jesus told a parable about tares and wheat. Sometimes the weeds are easy to spot. Sometimes they aren't. Thanks, firstjohnfourfive for keeping us alert!

No comments:

Post a Comment