Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Consider a site meter

My newest technological discovery is this: I added a free site meter to the blog last week. A virtual gadget. My husband loves gadgets. It worked but was so camoflaged, I didn't see it. We've been hashing through some serious situations involving some people we care about lately and my husband expressed concerns about blogging safety, especially blogging about anything child-related. This is something serious to think about for anyone blogging about children. And I don't neccessarily know that having a site meter will help but maybe.

The advantage of a site meter, even a simple one, is that it gives you a limited ability to track your traffic. You can get a general idea of who keeps coming back and from where. Sometimes you can see the referral page they used or the search words they were using. There are places that I wouldn't want readers to back track to.

On the lighter side, a site meter gives you random information like where in the country or in the world your readers come from (even if they don't comment or have a profile) the page they come in on, the page they leave on, stuff like that. I suppose if you wanted to put a meter on each page you'd find out which pages draw the most readers even without comments.

[If you're an artist, by the way, people are looking for Bible coloring pages particularly for less frequently used passages] as I say, random information.

3 comments:

  1. I occasionally get hits from search engines of people looking for you. Unfortunately once you put information out it's hard to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here and you know where I am from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, maybe this was a crazy post for an emerging kids and faith blog, even though adding a site meter was an unprecedented technological achievement (LOL) I'm re-thinking photos.

    ReplyDelete