Monday, August 28, 2006

Narrative inquiry

Most of this chapter is filled with longer narratives about some specific children and their parents.
Good stuff, but it's long and worth reading in its original form if you have the book.

I like Ms. Crozier's comments about the narrative inquiry: "...narrative inquiry allows for the researcher to be an active participant in the research process. My experiences and stories are allowed to enter into the research process in ways that are liberating and affirming for me as an African American, educated female, from a working class Christian family. I do not have to assume a neutral, 'objective' position in the process as if I am not affected by what I am observing, experiencing and hearing from the participant involved in the study. Nor is who I am or what I bring to the research process rendered invisible; I am able to reflect on my own experience and story in my social location without apology." (CS p. 288)

Isn't this true of all of us as we interact with children?

No comments:

Post a Comment