Monday, February 19, 2007

The Book of Life*

*Disclaimer: This is not exactly theological ... ok, it is but it isn't...

We've probably done more than our share of art and crafts around my house over the years. I really love the image of the Valentine book . I keep thinking about it. I've been thinking about overflowing and what makes the image of an overflowing book different from a glass of water spilling over or a stream overflowing. So then I was thinking about how a book like that represents a life overflowing in a way that's different from just a box spilling over with popcorn or a glass of spilled water...

I always thought of the Book of Life as a book of lists - a giant old thick flat book. A book of lists. Good. Bad. What if it's a book like the Valentine book? What if it's a book full of scraps and reminders. Flat lives and overflowing lives? I wonder how many pages we get? I wonder what we get to put in it?

My husband George (a computer system designer) and I were talking today. I said, God probably needs a book-of-life-on-computer to hold it all. He said, actually it might be a very very small book, depending on how much really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment