Thursday, February 08, 2007

Images to Ponder:: Psalm 131 (two translations)

First think about who David was - not so much as boy, worshipping shepherd, outdooorsman, observant writer but as a king, a warrior, a busy, powerful, passionate man.

The second image is the image he describes in his Psalm.

1)A Song of the Ascents,
by David.

Jehovah, my heart hath not been haughty,
Nor have mine eyes been high,
Nor have I walked in great things,
And in things too wonderful for me.
Have I not compared, and kept silent my soul,
As a weaned one by its mother?
As a weaned one by me [is] my soul.
Israel doth wait on Jehovah,
From henceforth, and unto the age!

(Psalm 131 Youngs Literal Translation)


2)A song for those who go up to Jerusalem to worship the Lord.
A psalm of David.

Lord, my heart isn't proud.
My eyes aren't proud either.
I don't concern myself with important matters.
I don't concern myself with things that are too wonderful for me.
I have made myself calm and content
like a young child in its mother's arms.
Deep down inside me, I am as content as a young child.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forever.

(Psalm 131 NIrV)


[I used two translations just because they capture different parts of the picture.] The more detailed my image of David and the child, the harder it is to put the two images together which just makes for a more amazing image.

Whoever you are, imagine yourself there. Imagine yourself the child, not wanting or needing anything except to be right where you are, nestled in His mothering arms, perfectly content.

Observing moms and babies you can probably make your own observations and find lots to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment