Thursday, March 29, 2007

Who's Children Were They?

You know how scripture so often refers to people as, _________ the son of ___________. I understand it was cultural but it's worth pondering even though we're a different generation. I don't believe that all the words we skip in the scriptures are just empty words. I don't believe any of the words of scripture are irrelevant empty words.

If you're curious about a generation in Israel who didn't know the Lord, if you're asking who's children were they? Here's one situation: Judges 2:1-10.

Are these the children of the adults from Deuteronomy 31 and Deuteronomy 32? Or is there no correlation?

If there is a correlation, we need to go back to the stories of Deuteronomy asking, "Where were these kids?" I'm not convinced that our successes and failures walking with God are always formulaeic. But we're supposed to learn from the scriptures.

I'm saying this as a parent, too. Some of my kids aren't making their pursuit of God a priority right now. They assure me that will change but it's stretching my faith. We had no intention of raising a generation of children who don't know the Lord - neither did Job. I have another one who's turned that corner. She's been going to Bible study and searching the scriptures. She came back recently and said, "I'm finding so much of what you and Dad told us here (in the scriptures)." She's excited. Bless You, Father.

I'm not doing this systematically, am I. I'm not following a map. I'm following a path of questions. Your study of the same material may raise different questions for you and looking for those answers may take you down a different path of study and you may see different things. But if we're looking for Him and how He interacted with the people in His stories - if we're looking for Him with all our heart, He'll let us find Him.

If I search the scriptures asking, "Where were the children?" it's God I'm looking for. The way that I know the God of the scriptures will affect the way I interact with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment