Monday, February 04, 2008

CM: Leadership (slightly revised)

Children matter in leadership - the last chapter of Children Matter.

The chapter opens, "Many persons who love children and sense a strong call to minister with them are dismayed to discover that extensive administration is required of the children's pastor. Those who learn to creatively guide ministry planning and empower a team of volunteers, however, experience great joy as they watch increasingly effective ministry with children unfold." [CM p. 330] This is a chapter looking at a seasoned children's pastor, principles, and strategies.

It's that word "administration." I think leadership driven by passion for God and compassion for children(and the people around them) and a heart to see and serve and listen and hear is a most difficult job. It's the business edge that I have a hard time with. I understand the need for great communication and for things to run safely and smoothly for large groups of people. But I think, at this point in time, I have no heart for the business of church or group politics. A friend of mine once said, if you don't like group politics, you must not like groups. And I thought (in my late 40's). Oh, that's why I don't like groups. People who lead children's ministries (or any ministry) and do it well deserve all the kudos and respect in the world. Kudos!! I've raised kids, babysat, I've taught different things to different ages, volunteered in every area of kids and church including VBS and summer camp. (Ok, I got paid at summer camp.) I helped a young church start the process of implementing some very different ideas for children's ministry but I think I'm a facilitator, not a leader.

I'm going to read this last chapter of the book anyway. 22 pages. Join me if you want. We'll sit at the feet of a professional. Maybe I'll find something else to think about on paper.

When you're done reading books, if you want to learn, find a seasoned expert that you respect, whether they have a degree or not. Find someone nearby. Sit at his/her feet. Follow him around. Pester him/her with questions. He/she may never write a book and they definitely won't live forever. It doesn't have to be Children's Ministry. Whatever you're willing to learn by following, interacting, (obeying) and imitating. Apprenticeship, discipleship (for lack of better describers) is a different kind of learning - sadly lacking in our culture but as a form of education it's tried and true. It's passed the test of time. It's more than a how to, there's an impartation that happens. But that's a separate post. . .

Check out the Bibliography and the index of scriptures in Children Matter, too.

Selah!

I hope this book stays in print for a very very long time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment