Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Seeing - in and out of the classroom

The word Light is used pretty often in scripture, especially the NT. When my husband and I were in Virginia the blinds caught the light in lots of different ways over the course of the day. Maybe it caught my attention because the walls and everything in the apartment were white . . . but I was intrigued. I felt like I'd never really seen light before. Photographers learn to see light. They have to see it and use it to capture the images they want but I felt like I'd never really noticed light before. So I took pictures. Now they're lost but it was an out-of-the-classroom educational experience that I probably won't forget.

Years ago, an older friend of ours went with our group on a hayride in the country. She had always lived with city street lights. The absence of light was what so impressed (and scared) her. I grew up on a farm. My husband grew up in Manhattan. City light and country light is something you don't always think about until you see it through someone else's eyes.

There are I Spy books and Hidden Picture books . . . and Psyche, of course. Psyche, Monk and House (USA TV) all focus on solving problems through astute observation- seeing.

I used to have a box of simple preschool activities for each of the senses and small motor development. How do we teach children to see? How do we learn to "see" an invisible God? Should learning to see be an integral part of Christian education or spiritual formation?

No comments:

Post a Comment