Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Revisiting worship in spirit and truth

I never returned to this post to investigate worshiping in spirit and truth with you.

Here is the Greek word for "spirit" as used in John 4:24 and the other places that same word is used.

Here is the Greek word for "truth" as used in John 4:24 and the other places the same word is used.

What do I mean by concrete observations? What's the most obvious fact in the passage?

It's interesting that the Old Testament's focus is on God interacting with His people Israel but it's getting us ready for Jesus. The Gospels focus on Christ Jesus but it's getting us ready for the Holy Spirit. Acts focuses on the Holy Spirit but a young church is growing. The epistles focus on the church in the context of all of the above still getting us ready for more...

It's interesting to go through the scriptures about the Spirit asking "Who is He?" "Not what is it?" What does He look like? What does He do? It's interesting that the same word is also used for unclean spirits.

Interesting that there are so few references to that word "truth" as used in John 4 and that most of them are in John. Alot of those passages using "spirit" in the gospels are the same story. Which ones aren't? Which ones are unique to that gospel?

In a couple words or less, what do each of those passages tell us about spirit ? What do they tell us about truth? Write a list.

If you look at some of those passages and assume that God isn't operating like that anymore I think you deny that He's the same yesterday, today, and forever. I think that if you try to fit Him into your own experience and your own understanding instead of believing that all things are possible for Him, there are things you may never see. Blessed are those who believe without having seen...

I'm pulling my usual. I'm posing a question, not answering it. Experientially, with the roots of that experience deep in the scriptures, I can answer the question for me. I can't do for someone else what God does. I can pray. I can share scripture to ponder and do. I can ponder and do. I can share worship that's meaningful to me and try to find tools and expressions that prove meaningful to the people I'm serving. I'm not performing. I'm enabling other people to bring their hearts and praise to God in ways that will be true for them and true in the presence of God. Old or young. Worship that will be whole-hearted and true, individually or collectively even without me. Worship that will so focus someone on Father, Son, and Holy Spirit that when the tools and the worship leaders change or disappear, people will still be so caught up in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit that they won't even notice what isn't there!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment