Saturday, January 24, 2009

When God says, "no"

There are lots of fun things about having a site meter: watching where people come from, referring URL's (whatever URL means), places or numbers that keep coming back, the posts that seem to generate the most traffic. . .

But the thing that is most interesting to me is when it shows what someone was searching for. (0 time spent once they got here) If they didn't find what they were looking for it makes me want to write something.

One of the searches was "stories about God telling us no."

Jesus praying in the Garden - "Father, let this cup pass from me but not my will by Thine be done," to me is one of the best examples.

I haven't really thought this through but off the top of my head . . . We have lots of stories about what God did, but not sure whether the humans in the story at the time saw what God did as answer to prayer at the time. Not sure whether people at the time would have seen the events that transpired as God saying yes, or God saying "no."

We think of God providing a place for Mary and Joseph to stay when the man offered them the stable but I wonder how many "no's" the story of Jesus' birth represented.

How many "no's" does the story of Moses represent?

What about the story of David?

Abraham and Sarah? Lot?

Joseph's father?

The disciples?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment