Saturday, March 14, 2009

for St. Patrick's Day

“I am imperfect in many things, nevertheless I want my brethren and kinsfolk to know my nature so that they may be able to perceive my soul's desire.” St. Patrick

One of my favorite books: How the Irish Saved Civilization. You can read the reviews and summaries and all but what I enjoyed most was the story of faith - the story of faith in Ireland and how it was expressed in a very agrarian people. I found the differences between the expression of the Roman Church and the Celtic church -particularly their attitudes towards people and living things - fascinating. Who would have known . . .Apparently, Protestant roots are Roman roots. On the other hand both go back farther to the apostles and Hebrew roots but it's a very interesting book. It's interesting the things we hold on to and the things we let go of as we carry our faith from one culture to another . . . I found myself identifying more with the Celts as far as the things I care about . Probably tied to my roots and interaction with God as a child.

The Catholic Encyclopedia has a very long and detailed biography of St. Patrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment