Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Q: Faith & Culture

A thought question for you...

Can we have faith that's not influenced by our culture - faith that doesn't include cultural baggage? I'm not talking about faith that impacts culture. I'm not talking about understanding the culture you're visiting. Can I take my faith to any culture free of all the cultural stuff specific to the culture I come from?

How much of the faith we give kids is cultural? How much is something they can take anywhere?

I once heard a missionary at an orphanage in Eastern Europe say they cringed when they hosted American teens who came to share their faith. As much as they appreciated the good intentions, there were things that came with them that weren't faith, things they really didn't want their kids exposed to. It's happened in many generations, not just ours.... it's just a question...

No comments:

Post a Comment