Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mondays

I was thinking alot about the fleshing out of all this but I got sidetracked.

This summer we've started Monday night as a night to have people for dinner. Take the picture you have in your mind of 8 people sitting around a picnic table, erase it, and try again because we're averaging about 20 people each Monday strewn around my house and yard. Not strewn, sorry! They're very much alive blowing bubbles, picking blackberries and eating tacos.

What I realized last night is that if I'm looking for something specific or think I know the end of a matter because I've managed to catch a glimpse of the beginning I've missed something. If I just watch and listen I'll see unexpected glimpses of treasure. I still may not understand but I'll see more.

Going back to that passage from Matthew11:25-26 when Jesus said " . . . I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure."

If you're looking for a teacher who would you pick? The wise and learned? Who is it that you'd like to teach your children? The wise and learned? Who would you entrust with your morsels of wisdom? But it was the Father's pleasure not to reveal the things that preceded this passage to those who would be teaching children but to children. Maybe because they were simple but maybe because when Jesus laid his hands on the children to bless them that interaction, in itself, was revelation and it was enough. Or maybe because there are things you can't really learn second hand. . .

May the Lord lay His hands on you and bless you.

(c) 2005 Margie Hillenbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment