Sunday, July 31, 2005

Justice, Awe, Beauty, Roots, Community

I've been thinking about the last 5 posts. Maybe this would be helpful.

One of the scenes I love is in 101 Dalmations where the dogs bark across the countryside trying to find the puppies. That's an image I have when when I think of community. Any story about a community of people (or children) working together to accomplish something. Some are hilarious!

You could probably put Disney's Robin Hood under justice. There are actually a few Disney movies that may not be as popular that touch justice. The Power of One is NOT a kids' movie unless you preview and fast forward but it's probably one of the most powerful movies we've seen about justice.

Roots. Whale Rider for kids in mid elementary +. You'd have to talk about it. Alot of the older movies were more about severing roots than finding them. Biographies about significant people in church history. Historicals, immigration, books and movies about the countries and time periods that your ancestors came from . . .

Awe. I was so impressed in St. Louis when we saw the movie about building the St. Louis Arch because there was no loss of life. Any real life survival story or overcoming odds. Stories about miracles. Stories about inventors, engineers, scientists. There's a book of true stories about heroic kids ...I'll have to find it.

Beauty...stories about artists, writers, musicians, natural science, landscape panaramas, photographs, art, music, ...

When you see or read or hear something you want to remember buy it or keep a notebook and make a comment (where you found it) and note the age it's appropriate for. If you want me to make a list here, send me your info or put it in a comment.

(c) 2005 Margie Hillenbrand

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! I love this sort of way of thinking about things. It reminds me of a game I used to play with my college friends in which we'd try to decide which Muppet we each most resembled.

    I'll be thinking about this, and if anything grabs me, I'll post it.

    Off topic: I notice your (c) 2005 notice. If you'd like a more permanent version, you can get a Creative Commons License and embed it in your blog's template so it always appears in your sidebar or footer or wherever you wish. If you're interested, I can show you how next time I'm over. (Or just describe it, since I'm sure you could do it yourself.)

    ReplyDelete