Tuesday, October 25, 2005

just alittle far out

One side of this blog is just personal opinion like this one which in no way reflects on Artisan or its leadership. That's my disclaimer...I've actually considered blogging this for weeks but I have to say it isn't the first thing I wanted new readers to find...

Thinking about Young Children in Worship, there are elements that I really like about it and elements that we've tried to incorporate as we've included kids in worship. I believe it was originally based on more liturgical services to give children a taste of "grown up" worship and grow in them the memories and understandings that they need in order for the liturgical service to be meaningful to them. (Non-liturgical churches also use Young Children in Worship and love it.)

Someday I would love to see a very simple adult service designed like YCIW with offering at the beginning- what we bring to God, worship music, story (God's Word as primary and only speaker without anyone talking about it), wonder questions, opportunity to interact with the story/time for personal meditation and creative response, communion meal and that's it!

It runs a bit contrary to the fact that over the years we've consistantly chosen to be part of contemporary protestant worship communities (though we investigated other options). Thinking about this has given me a new appreciation for catholic and orthodox practice. I also realize that using that form of worship consistantly could put Protestant ministers out of work but pastors don't just become pastors so they can teach/talk on Sundays, do they?

... I haven't stretched your thinking too much lately. :-)

I'm going to play with posting about that beloved controversial holiday Halloween...

3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that a question arises of how a child ought be educated outside of the worship service. Furthermore, I like the bit about pastors and preaching. Is it necessary to be preaching to be pastoring, or are there different duties which are perhaps as important or more so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of us have grown up with Sunday school as the primary model for faith instruction. In some situations the family played as big a role or even a more significant role than SS. Alot of churches have midweek programs and youth fellowship, combining instruction with fun and opportunities to build relationships and be part of a group of peers.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I believe the model Artisan is looking to apprehend is a Biblical model where parents/caregivers take the lead teaching, and training their children in worship, in faith, in living; pursuing God together, learning together, being examples to each other, sharing life together, growing to know God and do what He says together. Life instruction as opposed to classroom instruction.

    This, however, is in the context of a bigger community where the same things are happening: adults doing all the one-anothers you find in t he New Testament; individuals and groups sharing with each other and the people they love, doing things together, serving the larger outside community together.

    That doesn't mean there won't be opportunities for specific instruction, group activities, fun, or service. It may not mean that everything children do is in community with other generations but what if that was the case?

    Maybe children are just around playing together while their adults tackle a project. Maybe it means groups of children, groups of adults working together sharing their strengths, their gifts, their skills and experience to accomplish common goals - and not just creating a worship service. Sharing, learning from each other with the goal of giving something more than any of the individual parts can give alone. Accepting and affirming one another, one generation to another.

    I'm still trying to get it through my brain that when God talks about His children He's talking multi-generations...milligenerations - that's not the right word...

    As I say, fearless leaders, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the greater vision. It goes far beyond just including kids in worship ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right on about Artisan's philosophy. It all sounds good. As far as pastors and preaching, I thonk it's the opposite. I think the majority of Protestant pastors view their main role as preaching on Sundays. Take that away and what do they have left? Hospital visitation? Kinda sad that they can't open up their minds to what else can encompass true worship.

    ReplyDelete