Thursday, January 12, 2006

Questioning Religious Traditions

Back to Children's Spirituality. Roehlkepartain is compiling a book that will ask 6 questions of the world's major religious traditions. The intention of the questions and the book, I believe, is to open dialogue between faith traditions, to find common ground, to learn from one another.

These are his questions (Children's Spirituality p. 126). I've changed "a given tradition" or "a tradition" to "my religious tradition".

How does my religious tradition view children and adolescents? What role do they play in my tradition?

How does my religious tradition understand the process of spirituality? How does it change over the first 10 years of life? the second 10 years of life?

What rituals, practices, and celebrations within my religious tradition nurture the inner spiritual lives of children and adolescents?

To whom does my religious tradition assign responsibility for nurturing religious spirituality?

How does my religious tradition view the major social, political, and cultural forces that influence young people's spirituality?

It will probably be interesting to see how different faiths compare, especially Christianity and Judaism. But I'm left wondering if we substitute "the scriptures" for "religious tradition" would our answers be the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment