Saturday, January 14, 2006

Serving

My daughter called tonight from S. Carolina. She's there with some folks from her college working on a Habitat for Humanity project. She was excited about their fund-raiser. She said they went to a church. Restaurants donated soup. Stores and artisans donated bowls. People paid for a bowl and they got to taste lots of different soups and the proceeds went to Habitat.

When I flew to Dulles Va. to meet my husband for the weekend some kids (ok. college aged "kids") were talking about their church youth groups and what they did for Thanksgiving. One said they baked pies and sold them. He said it was really cool.

The other said that she and her family and about 200 people from her church went grocery shopping together and filled the grocery store! Each family took a Thanksgiving dinners to needy families. It was really meaningful to them!

One of the recent Group Publishing catalogues has a book of service activities for Preschoolers but I didn't find it on the website. . . so no link!

What do you think have been your most meaningful service activities?

2 comments:

  1. Every year the guys at the RIT intervarsity put on a dinner for the girls, the women's appreciation dinner. For me, this means a Saturday spent cooking :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, I forgot! Among all your other talents, you cook! I'll remember that!!

    Nice to meet your mom tonight!

    Do you realize that if they happen to put up the same letter combination for the verifying thingy that I could conceivably just push [enter] instead of figuring out and typing in all the letters? I wonder how long you have to blog before an identical letter combo appears? You can ask them, Gary, in your course!

    ReplyDelete