Monday, March 20, 2006

Celtic Way of Cherishing God’s Creation & Artistry

That was the theme this week. We hit the 90 + mark and added an ASL interpreter. Besides the sanctuary being filled with people, we had a table for kids 4 yrs and up to paint and work with clay. There were other tables where artists were doing painting and metal work during the service. There were photos, quilt pieces and other forms of artwork on display. (I may have forgotten something.) Our youngest children, with parents, were in the foyer with video feed and clay and crayons and paper.

Things seemed to go smoothly. Unfortunately one family enjoyed the activities in the sanctuary but retreated to the nursery half-way through, only to find it unstaffed and without children, probably not realizing that the foyer was set up for them. My fault.

It's also probably worth thinking about books and other visuals and quiet toys for the foyer that tie to the message weekly instead of just for special events.

Any other feedback?

4 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the kids so absorbed with what they were doing, and I especially loved that it worked so well with the topic of creation and artistry. Nice to have a topic that made both an easy connection and a fun project for the kids, huh!

    Abel loved participating by painting on the community canvas and drawing on the crayon easel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, can you please post photos of this? Sounds really really wonderful. I'm coming from a Reggio Emilia-inspired teaching background, but unfortunately am up against quite a bit in weaving a more emergent and dynamic approach into our children's ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome!
    Hey, guys! Do we have photos???

    If they post them they'll be on our church website at http://www.artisanchurch.com/

    I've threatened to post photos but haven't gotten it together, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry! I should've clarified what "Reggio Emilia-inspired" meant! Suffice it to say, I've not found greater joy in learning and a more holistic way of approaching children than in the schools and philosophies of Reggio Emilia.

    I sometimes blog about it, but no amount of talking could do this approach as much justice as seeing it in action would. One teacher described it as schools that were alive, and growing.

    Since I began my journey in understanding and practicing more of this approach in my own teaching, I've found what seems like a natural draw between it and much of what you call post-modern spiritual formation. I'm greatly interested in delving into a deeper understanding of this.

    I'm really excited to see the photos, when they're up!

    ReplyDelete