Monday, February 02, 2009

just for the record - some affirmations 2/4

from John 14 (NIV):

Jesus said,

1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going."

5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus goes on to tell them about the Holy Spirit.

Jesus' disciples are full of questions. Jesus is right in front of their eyes, walking with them, talking with them, living with them but they keep wanting more. They keep wanting to understand. It's not often that Jesus tells them, "you're not allowed to ask me questions." Jesus is a very patient teacher.

Jesus does tell them they already have what they're seeking. They have Him. He's showing them the Father. He'll give them His Holy Spirit. He's the Living Word living with them every day. But there's only so much they can see and only so much they can understand. They're men.

Jesus has more to teach them. They have more to learn. All through scripture, generation after generation, God keeps teaching us - mere men and women. Jesus told his disciples eternal life was to know Him. If you know someone all of your life do you know everything there is to know about him? This is God we're talking about-Alpha and Omega . And, as I say, God- [Father, Son, Holy Spirit} - is a very patient teacher. He's promised if we seek Him with our whole heart, He'll let us find Him. Is it a one time event or ongoing? When you're following do you always have him in full view or are there times when you lose sight of Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment