Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Senses

A few weeks ago, one of the workshop leaders at the Highlights Chautauqua Conference, Kim Griswell, made a simple comment that I wanted to share here. (I don't know that this is an exact quote but it's easier to read): "Kids start off very sensory: touching, tasting, seeing, hearing, using all the senses," she said using her hands. "And somehow as we grow it all ends up here," she continued pointing to her head.

What I heard was that children use their senses to learn about their world. Adults are more mental. We tell kids, "Don't touch that." "Take that out of your mouth..." (Granted, safety is important.)

But for everytime you say, "Don't" do you say: "Touch this. Isn't it neat? or "What does this feel like?" "Taste this!" "What do you like?" "Why don't you like that?" "Do you hear that?" "Look at this!" ... It just takes a couple of seconds here and a couple of seconds there. It's a fun way to learn, to notice, to describe, to communicate and to share life experiences.

(c) 2005 Margie Hillenbrand

1 comment:

  1. To this day, I touch things as I walk past, or pick things up that are sitting around, just to experience the weight or the texture. I usually take in,my surroundings visually and audially because I've always wanted a photographic memory. I enjoy trying new wines and tasting new beers, and going to different restaurants. Really, I the only sense I neglect is smell, because most things which can be experienced by olfactory means are either unpleasant, or else make me sneeze.

    Anyway, all this to say that I don't know that all adults have switched over to using their heads. I know that I experience much more mentally now than I did as a child, however, I think it only hones and enhances my sense experiences.

    ReplyDelete