Friday, July 28, 2006

Decompartmentalization

[That word must be up there somewhere with antidisestablishmentarianism which used to be the longest word but probably isn't any more.]

The other reason you'll find random posts on Emerging Kids (and my current reason for not having a separate puppy blog, by the way) is the question, "how do we de-compartmentalize our lives and the lives of our kids?" How do we keep from compartmentalizing sacred and secular or is it a scripturally sound approach to life? God is the God of all that His hands have created and visible in all that He's created. He's also the God of the scriptures. I believe His hospitality extends to believer and non. He knows and cares before we ever acknowledge Him. He gave Man work when He created Adam and Eve before there were churches to work in. And the list goes on. . .

Whether we open our mouths or not, whether or not we ever drag anyone through the doors of a church building we're ambassadors wherever we walk, whatever we do.

Of course some of us just think way way too much! :-) But it would be an interesting question to prayerfully take to the scriptures.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. I've wrestled with this tendency to break life up into so many different compartments and the walls of these often keep enquirers from looking in or joining in.
    Yes, we are indeed ambassadors wherever we go and at all times. It's a good reminder to be 'salt' and 'light'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what we model - kids will absorb. In my readings and in my raising of kids I have found that they have become masters of "compartmentalization". Their tendency to be a different person in their various social settings is a reflection of their wanting to belong so badly - and not seeing a life lived by and/or with adults that is congruent with what they "hear" about faith. Taking down the walls we put up around God so that He can have control in ALL areas of our life is hard. I don't have an easy "how to" answer - but strive to let God grow in all areas of my life. He is the core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! Thanks for your comments.

    After I posted this, I found myself wondering, is it as simple as letting God walk with us where ever we walk? Is it as simple as looking for Him wherever we go? Being willing to open our hearts to care about all the amazing people and situations that we run into? Being willing to pray that God will work all things together for good for those people even if they never enter a church? As simple as the stewardship of trying to be all that God made you to do and be without bringing an agenda.

    The smaller my view of God the fewer places I'd venture. The better I know Him the more secure I feel with who I am in Him and who He is, to me and without me. The more confidence I have in God and who He is, the more places I'm willing to venture, the more people I'm willing to interact with.

    You're right about kids needing to belong. The problem with crossing back and forth between what seem like so many different worlds (some of which don't even intersect) especially for kids I think, is that you're a part of all of them but not really a part of any of them. Unless you're doing that with some of the same people it's hard to get close and stay close to people. More so if the people in those different worlds don't particularly like each other.

    Somehow Jesus did it and I think God keeps doing it.

    ReplyDelete