Monday, July 03, 2006

Simple and Concrete?

Notice I'm not trying to "teach a lesson" here.

Here's a passage from yesterday. Actually the story presented also included the lady with the issue of blood being healed and the little girl being healed (bandages, doctor kit, pictures of lady, child, crowd...) but let's just look at this one.

Mark 4:35-41

4:35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, "Let us go across to the other side."

4:36 And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him.

4:37 A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped.

4:38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?"

4:39 He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm.

4:40 He said to them, "Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?"

4:41 And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"

The concrete words are in bold. There are also a couple of "teaching" concepts in bold but you don't even have to go there because the teaching concepts don't really mean anything if you don't know about wind and waves and storms or being afraid at night, trying to wake someone up or thinking that someone doesn't care.

That's what I mean by simple and concrete. Next time the wind is howling outside or you find yourself with your child listening to a thunderstorm, you can pull out the story again. Listen to your little person's observations and pray together see what God will do.

3 comments:

  1. When I read your "pruning" post, I was worried that you were going to give up the blog. I was glad to see your recent posts - very practical and helpful as I process some new ideas! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margie,

    I loved this post, even if it was slightly difficult to put my finger on why I did. I made an attempt at my blog, though.

    Thanks for the keen brain fodder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you guys!

    I assume all you readers check out the blogs of all these commentors...commenters...(?)

    Anyway...you'll like these two!

    ReplyDelete