Monday, October 16, 2006

Words

After the last post (which doesn't seem to be showing on the first page of the blog) at least on my machine...

My husband and I were talking about stress and kids and he (bless him), as he's know to do, challenged the word nuances.

"cope" appropriate when you're talking about terminal illness but how about other stressful situations? Is it sufficient to help a child just cope? He said there's something called a coping saw that makes fine grooves so two different pieces fit together just right. I think of it as making peace, that kind of making peace. Helping someone make sense of a situation or at least come to some kind of peace.

"deal" we deal with situations. We deal with life. Is that an appropriate expression of faith?

"resilience" I actually like that describer as an outcome of faith

"overcome" Sometimes that's a more appropriate response. Maybe always? Is that what peace is?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment