Thursday, April 17, 2008

Play is a blessing

Apparently play is a blessing. I understand it's a way to process life and create, a way that young members of a society learn the skills they will need as adults but I didn't know that it's tied to God blessing His people.

I looked for "play" in Bible Gateway. I didn't look up "amuse" or other words like that. Most of the "play" passages have to do with playing musical instruments.

There are only a couple of places that tell of children or young animals playing. What's interesting is that in Zechariah 8:5 (the NIV adds the title "The Lord Promises to Bless Jerusalem") it says, "The city streets will be filled with boys and girls playing there." That may be the only place in scripture where this passage occurs but if you're talking about children, it's significant because it's part of the picture of God blessing His people.

Children playing in the streets is part of the picture of God blessing His people? Off the top of my head it must mean that the land is at peace and all is well. Must be people are secure and there's a measure of trust and trustworthiness in society, in neighborhoods, on city streets. It will be so safe that children will be able to play outside in the streets. Another time in history, another culture you say? I don't know that children were given a whole lot of respect in ancient cultures. And my grandfather's brother got run over by a horse cart watching a parade with his father. It may not have been any safer in the streets hundreds of years ago than it is now.

My own generation and generations before me played in more places than my children did or my grandchildren will. My mother-in-law used to tell us how young moms would bring their children to the parks in NYC on weekdays. The parks were full of moms with kids. My husband and his friends used to play stick ball in the street in the 1950's. By the time we got married and had kids and went to visit the parks and streets were pretty empty. So much so that she noticed and commented about it. And from what my husband says NYC became much safer when Guilliani was mayor. I walked and played in my father's workshop, old barns, pear trees, fields and woods - mostly alone. Two parents working, you say? Maybe. Could be with people employing more nannies that parks are full again, I don't know.

But think about it. Even here, you rarely see groups of children playing outside anyplace besides a school yard or someplace other than an organized kids sports event anymore. Even schools keep their kids inside a lot more than they used to. It's just interesting. Ask your parents and grandparents whether they're from the country or the city or the suburbs. Ask them where they played.

Next Saturday or Sunday afternoon or some weekday between the end of school and sundown. Count how many kids you see outside - don't count play sets, count kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment