Tuesday, December 20, 2005

"caught not taught"

Went into Amazon today to finish Christmas shopping (long-distance which means they most certainly won't get there by Christmas!) and there before my eyes were about four books about including children in worship. One book is specifically for children. One is a planning guide for congregations. One is Parenting in the Pew, the one I read. One is a resource for "pastors, educators, parents, sessions and committees." Thought there was only one and that I'd read it. Sigh...

The table of contents for one of the books ("inside the book" - "table of contents" - an Amazon perk) contained a bold reminder for me..."Worship is caught, not taught." I think that for the first 50 years of my life I totally agreed with that. I still agree very very very much but I'm wondering if it's one of those tent cords pulling in one direction that needs the instructing cord pulling in the other to keep the tent up. Something to think about. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great Thought,

    We are to train kids in the way they should go - not teach them in the way they should go.



    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete