Thursday, December 15, 2005

Non-Verbal and Silence

Silence and non-verbal communication are both loaded with meaning. Berryman says that as adults we know this but we depend more on language than on the non-verbal. Problems arise, especially for children, when our verbal and non-verbal communications say different things. (Jerome W. Berryman* "Children and Mature Spirituality." Children's Spirituality. Cascade Books, Eugene OR: 2004, p 29)

I have two almost 6 month old puppies. They're experts at reading body language. While I'm trying to teach them word commands they're reading my body language and probably getting pretty confused.

For all the months before children develop language we're communicating with them and they're communicating with us non-verbally. Even our silences communicate something.

When I think of God, Christ, Living Word, I don't think of God's silent or non-verbal communication. I don't think of "Be still and know that I am God," or of Elijah's experience with the still small breeze as anything but verbal but if you were there, I bet it would be quiet.

Berryman says that God is often silently present, in a non-verbal, non-linguistic way. (Berryman p. 28) That's one way that many people hope to encounter God in worship - feeling, inner peace. When I quiet myself, I do it so I can "hear" better, I never think about a non-linguistic, non-verbal response from God, though it happens. Listening to God's silence...a new frontier!

God communicates both non-verbally and verbally. Bringing children to worship at any age, we're communicating as much non-verbally as verbally. Berryman says, sometimes He's hiding, like a game of Hide-and-Seek. He's silent but present. The fun is to find Him. (Berryman p. 25-29.)

*Jerome Berryman is the Executive Director of the Center for the Theology of Childhood. He has also written Godly Play & Teaching Godly Play.

No comments:

Post a Comment