Saturday, December 31, 2005

Culture and IMing

According to Kidiology (and I agree) it's very important for children's ministers to stay up on kid culture. At Artisan you have to IM to keep up with the adult culture. After avoiding IMing for years, I'm getting it. If George (and Gary) use it for work maybe I should, too. Wonder of wonders my computer still runs at normal speed and it absolutely has it's advantages, especially if you spend the better part of the day on the computer anyway.

I always thought it was too confusing to type, read, think and converse with multiple people in multiple conversations at the same time. (Multi-tasking pales in comparison.) I don't even like call waiting. :)

Before I talk myself out of it again. . . the good news is that so far, one person at a time is working. I even managed to proof-read my last message before I pushed "send". My sixty-two year year old aunt learned email and IM before I did because she didn't want her grandchildren to be able to do things that she couldn't. Her father, my grandfather, was born in 1900. Pretty amazing.

This is what I'm still confused about.
I am iming,We are iming, You are iming,He/She is iming, They are iming
but
I/we im , You im,He/She ims,They im....
and
I/we imed, You imed, He/she/they imed

I left out a hyphen, right? We already thought English was hard.

2 comments:

  1. It's a very convenient way to get ahold of people (you know when they're around) especially when most of the people you know/work with aren't physically present.

    I never gave much thought to the grammar of "IM." I don't think using an acronym as a verb works very well.

    Standard English tends to go away online (e.g. proper capitalization, spelling, and grammar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been IMing for years. I've used it as a great way to stay in contact with friends who are scattered throughout the U.S. To me it is just as useful as a telephone. Although, I do not use for work, I would not be opposed to doing so either.

    ReplyDelete