Thursday, March 27, 2008

Random TV trivia

This just came from my writer's group: Top TV for kids in the UK. (One of our members is from the UK.)

This one is from Wikipedia (2001) "This poll conducted by the British television channel Channel 4 in 2001. The 100 children's television series were chosen by Channel 4 and then ranked by the public in an internet and phone poll." I think this was also UK but many were familiar children's programs to me.

Here's the results from "The Parents Television Council™ ... annual ranking of the 20 most popular prime time broadcast television shows among children ages 2-17, based on Nielsen Media Research rankings." 2007.

I was flabbergasted..."...among children ages 2-17?"

I met a mom who was talking about her 8 year old calling her friend, "House" and I thought, ok he must watch the show. My friend just finished telling me what a fantastic mom she was. About the reference to "House" I thought, "That's interesting!" The show's on late but maybe the reruns are on early. Some of it wouldn't be appropriate for kids but some would be ok. I like the show, too.

So weeks later, I read the PTC poll. And I'm flabbergasted!

Does that mean that in this day and age, if you're looking to reach unchurched kids, it's not kid's entertainment you're competing with, it's adult entertainment you're competing with? Is that what it means?

Not that we have to compete with the entertainment world or with anyone for that matter . . . but still ... there's probably a reasonable explanation...like kids are only home when their parents are home and they watch what their parents want to watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment