Wednesday, August 24, 2005

more from YCIW

I want to offer you some more quotes from Young Children In Worship because I really appreciate the insights and whether or not we actually use the program, some of these insights are valuable in their own right.

A brief synopsis of the things I found most interesting: The begining is a combination of how and why. The rest of the book includes a wealth of specific stories enacted by a leader with wooden figures or felt and laminated characters with actions, materials, and patterns. The time is set up very much like a traditional Order of Worship. All is quiet, slow, low key. The use of repetition and ritual will appeal to some but not to others. But they've found that many many children (even those who you wouldn't expect) really respond to this kind of quiet and order. I also expect it's especially good preparation for liturgical (high church) worship and just directing a child's attention to God at a time when they are still so easily awe-struck. After the Word is presented (as story) the leader may ask "I wonder" questions. The children gather their materials and go to their own space (a towel or rug) and respond creatively or through play. The leader and greeter don't interfere or interrupt unless a child asks. They save their work in a folder - a spiritual journal. They also share a feast at the time in the order of their young worship when adults would take communion. They receive an individual whispered blessing when they leave.

There's also a second book with more stories from scripture.

Quotes:
"...listening to God's word is not enough; the word of God invites response." p. 20

Children can learn simple benedictions and portions of scripture (p 21):
"The Lord be with you..."
"and also with you."
or
"Christ has risen...
"He has risen indeed."

p. 24 "In educational settings the Bible is primarily used as a means of instruction...In effect God is talked about...In worship, through the power of the Holy Spirit, God is made known to us in the hearing of the Word. God is experienced and known as we enter into the story."

The chapter on story telling and the Biblical narrative is especially interesting to me, perhaps because I write but maybe because often a person's silence says more to me than their words. "Biblical stories tell only the actions and description essential to the story. The omission of definitions and unnecesary detail provides silences, time and space through which the listener experiences the mystery, awe, and wonder so characteristic of sacred story. . ." (p. 25) "...silence serves another function, it gives space for the Holy Spirit to act in the imagination. .." (p. 29)

Pages 26-27 talk about children experiencing the story kinesthetically. I've read other places and it's probably obvious that children learn through their senses (touch being one) and many many children process life through imaginary play. You'll see them take what they've seen on TV or in a story...why not God's stories?

Another element I found enticing is "I wonder" questions which get you pondering the passage.

When you have a quiet moment, take a passage of scripture, a story, a parable read it out loud to yourself and ask "I wonder. . ."

I've ordered JOINING CHILDREN ON THE SPIRITUAL JOURNEY: Nurturing a Life of Faith by Catherine Stonehouse - my next reading assignment. Someone recommended it to me ( and one reader wrote a glowing review on Amazon. We'll see...) I'm also entering into dialogue with some other Covenant Children's Ministry leaders with lots of questions, of course!

1 comment:

  1. I had a wonderful phone conversation yesterday with Barbara Pettit at Pasadena Covenant Church. Not only is she one of the people excited about Young Children in Worship (I heard from about 6 people who have used it for a long time) but her church of about 2-300 is working hard to include children in multigenerational worship. Besides lots of wisdom, insight and passion she had some book suggestions. I have one on order. I'll tell you more after I read it.

    ReplyDelete