Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ways and Journeys

For alot of evangelicals the concept of spiritual journey seems unorthodox yet for the Eastern Orthodox a guarantee that you're "saved" is unorthodox. Have you been journeying with Christ or did you make a decision and your journey ended or something in between? When Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, the Life, no man comes to the Father but by me..." what did He mean? A path, a road, a how-to, a guarantee?

I'm reading another book: Joining Children on the Spiritual Journey: Nurturing a Life of Faith by Catherine Stonehouse. So I went to Bible Gateway's lexicon looking for that word "way" in the passage where Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. . . I expected to see a word used infrequently, or some Greek word for "path" or "road" or "journey". But, apparently, that word for "way" in John 14 (from the Gk "autos") appears 530 times just in John ... looking at the first definition with my non-Greek student understanding - I am himself, the truth, the life . . . which says to me, "a person" embodying truth, embodying life ... Without knowing the Greek, the passage itself paints that picture ... how often did Christ (who is the way) say "Follow me"?

...I'll be revisiting John 14 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment