Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Thoughts on Young Children in Worship pp 1-30

My Young Children in Worship book arrived yesterday (Authors Sonja M. Stewart & Jerome W. Berryman pub. 1989 Westminister John Knox Press). I wanted to share some quotes that I'm excited about. I don't mean to take them out of context but I think they stand on their own.

I don't know how I feel about the program yet but (30 pages in) I like these particular quotes. I like the idea of creating opportunities for children to interact with the Word and letting God's Word speak for itself as opposed to telling someone what it's supposed to say and interpreting it for them. I like the idea of talking about it, wondering about it, responding in personal ways. I see benefit to children learning to interact with God: sing to Him, talk to Him, thank Him, dance for Him. I also see benefit to children being with parents and a community of worshippers and experiencing worship in that way.

The quotes:

". . .worship transforms ordinary time and space into sacred time and space. The experience of God is one of mystery, awe, and wonder. Where education attempts to explain and interpret mystery, worship allows us to experience and dwell in the presence of God as a way of knowing." (p. 13) (my favorite thus far!)

"In worship God is central. We find meaning and order in relation to God." (p. 14)

"[Children] need to know how to find the quiet place within, which enables them to get ready to worship. . ." (p. 14)

"...corporate worship is structured and full of words and symbols based on stories and memories children do not yet have. For children to participate meaningfully in corporate worship, they must first experience the essential parts and stories of worship through sensorimotor means." (p. 15) "the essential parts and stories of worship" meaning the elements consistantly present in a traditional worship service but that probably applies to all of scripture as appropriate.

[4- part order of worship] ". . .gathering, listening [to the Word], thanking, going. . ." (p. 17)

Alot of interesting stuff . . . I'm 31 pages in and these are some ideas I'm pondering, not program but ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment